Sunday, July 2, 2017

Francis Dougherty and Catherine Clerkin: My Early Canadian Ancestors

Yesterday was Canada Day, the 150 birthday for our northern neighbor. In honor of the occasion, I'd like to celebrate some of my earliest paternal ancestors who came to Canada and eventually to the U.S.

My 3rd great grandfather Francis Dougherty and 3rd great grandmother Catherine Clerkein/Clarkin/Clarke) (depending on which document you're reviewing) were born in County Monaghan, Ireland. They married on Valentine's Day (February 14th) 1828 in Tydavnet, County Monaghan. They had 4 sons while they lived in Ireland (Michael, Peter, Owen and Bernard). They immigrated to Prince Edward Island, Canada in 1839 and settled in Lot 58 as farmers. They then had 5 daughters (Margaret, Mary, Bridget, Catherine, and another Bridget). In 1888 Francis emigrated to Dickinson County, Kansas to join his son Peter  and his wife Margaret (Cairns) to homestead (you can read about my family homesteading here). Their daughter Margaret also left for Dickinson County, KS ahead of her parents after marrying Patrick Cairns. I'm not sure if Francis' wife Catherine travelled with them as I haven't found her on census records.

There is a newspaper article discussing a 103 year old resident being the oldest person in Dickinson County from Ireland and emigrated from Canada named Francis Dougherty. I have a strong feeling that the article is discussing him but I haven't confirmed yet. I've still yet to find out where he or his wife is buried. Maybe someone here will know.


Open Questions:
1. Where did Francis die and where was he buried?
2. Where did Catherine die and where is she buried?
3. Is there a relationship between the two Cairns spouses (Margaret Cairns and Patrick Cairns)

Source Citations:

"A Dickinsonian Aged 103." Abilene Daily Reflector, 13 June 1891https://www.newspapers.com/clip/9421717/abilene_daily_reflector/?xid=865: 8 Mar 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment